Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Anil hasn't returned Jackie's jeans for 10 years


Anil Kapoor is still clinging on to a pair of jeans he had borrowed from Jackie Shroff ages ago! He refuses to return it as 'they are lucky for him.' Anil says he owns two pair of jeans (Polo) which he wears almost 363 days of the year and two pairs of shoes boots and keds which he has worn for years.

"Jackie (Shroff) had given me pair of khaki jeans for Priyan's Virasat (1997) which I still haven't returned as I feel it's my lucky jeans. Jackie maang, maang ke thak gaya. He begs and pleads with me to return them least once a month but I refuse to return it. The other pair of jeans is a black one. The khaki one I wear for all my films (including Tashan) and I almost live in the black one."

His penchant for the old and familiar does not apply only to jeans, "I have a pair of leather boots and a pair of keds which I have worn in every film of film starting from Woh Saat Din to Mashaal and after. I feel comfortable wearing my old stuff, particularly my keds. And my trademark stubble, which most actors sport these days. I was the first star to start this look many years ago and today my stubble is synonymous with me. Recently, Abhishek told me that the stubble proved to be lucky for him as well. It was my suggestion that he grow it for Yuva."

Anil says he started sporting a stubble to look older than his age, "In my first film Woh Saat Din, I was pitted opposite Naseeruddin Shah then stars like Dharmendra, Dilip Kumar and Shatrughan Sinha. I was a kid. I kept wondering how would I look like an adult playing a lawyer, goonda or dada? My six-pack was my stubble."

Anil plays Bhaiyyaji in Tashan. "I found the role in Tashan really exciting. Bhaiyyaji is more than just an underworld don. I get to use a mixture of many languages including Bhojpuri, Hindi and English."

According to Jackie Shroff, "The jeans that I gave Anil were my lucky jeans. He borrowed it from me once promising to return it but never did. They are a beautiful khaki coloured pair with pockets on the side. He said it was the look that he wanted to play the character in Viraasat. Anil has always been after my jeans.

During Mashaal, when he would go to meet his girlfriend (and now his wife, Sunita) at Napean Sea Road, I would hang out with my cool look. I have been begging him to return my jeans. But Anil is my bro. He can keep them if he really wants to.

No comments:

Jannat Review

The Bhatts never run out of stories. In their new outing Jannat, Mahesh and Mukesh Bhatt have yet another new story to tell. This time, it&#...